Saturday 7 June 2008

Flying Again (and Legal!)

After a couple of years not doing enough hours, my certificate of experience finally ran out so the decision whether to renew or not became rather pressing. I still love flying, so the choice became a little academic and on Tuesday this week, I booked an instructor and planned a little navigation exercise.

All went perfectly well, a mid-point course correction and about 1 minute early we found ourselves bang over the destination without ever having switched the GPS on! Then off for a license skills test - a few steep turns, a practice forced landing, fully developed stall with the aircraft clean, then approaching the stall in the landing configuration. Although feeling a bit rusty, it all came back to me and I coped well (at least I think I did).

Back to Barton, a flapless approach for a touch and go, then a practice EFATO on the climb out with neither me nor the instructor warning the tower that it was a practice - they seemed quite relieved when we acknowledged their radio call as we were climbing away. Round the circuit and in to land and there it was - all done & I can legally fly VFR for another two years.

Now - should I renew the IR ? Yes of course I should :-)

No comments: